Fiorentina also lost 3-2 in the Europa League, but despite the home loss to PAOK, they are likely to qualify to the knock-out stage as group winners. They are also unbeaten in last six Serie A games with in form striker Nikola Kalinic their main threat. Kalinic scored a hat-trick at Giuseppe Meazza last year.
Inter’s new boss Stefano Pioli has favored a 4-3-3 setup so far, with wingers who like to drift inside to help overload the middle. He’s an attacking minded coach who wants his players to move the ball quickly in possession. He has also made Marcelo Brozovic a regular starter again and the Croat is proving the decing balance in midfield. It is no doubt his side are playing below expectations and this derby could be just the incentive they need.
Given the quality Inter possess in the middle and out wide, Fiorentina may be a bit more cautious here, willing to concede possession in favor of maintaining a defensive shape. Their defensive cappabilities are quite strong, having shipped in 11 in 12 games which makes their defence the best in the league.
Head to Head
- Fiorentina have won their last four Serie A matches against Inter (two clean sheets for the Viola in these four games).
- Fiorentina have won their last two away games against Inter, after 12 defeats in a row at San Siro beforehand.
- The last draw between Inter and Fiorentina at Meazza in Serie A was in November 1996: since then there have been 14 wins for the Nerazzurri and three for Viola.
- Inter have lost only one of their last nine Serie A home games (W6, D2).
- Fiorentina are unbeaten in their last six Serie A matches: three home draws and three away wins for Viola in this period.
- Sousa’s team have won each of their last three Serie A away games: the last time they collected four wins in a row was in September 2013.
- Fiorentina have kept the most clean sheets (six) in Serie A this campaign.
- Only Roma have fired more shots than Inter (232) in Serie A this season, but the Nerazzurri have the lowest shooting accuracy in the league (36%).
- Inter have gained nine points from trailing situations in the Serie A this season, more than any other side.
- Antonio Candreva and Josip Ilicic netted their first league goals of the season last time out: the Italian player with his 38th shot, the Slovenian with the 37th.
- Nikola Kalinic scored his first Serie A hat-trick in the last meeting with Inter at San Siro: the Croatian striker has scored 12 of his 17 Italian league goals away from home (including the last five).
Gary Medel (knee) and leftback Davide Santon (hamstring) are out for Inter.
Sousa will have to do without Cristian Tello (suspended—yellow card accumulation), as well as long-term absentee Hernan Toledo (thigh).
Live Stream Info: FLS LIVE